We all want to feel safe in our own homes, particularly to prevent accidents involving children or anyone with increased risk of injury. The technology we provide in our telecare packages gives some reassurance that help will come when it is needed, but there are also products available to prevent accidents before they have a chance to happen.
Our Safe at Home team offers advice, home safety and security checks, and small maintenance works to make your home safer to live in. Home safety is available for all, whether you are a council tenant, private tenant or homeowner living in Portsmouth and Gosport.
Children under five-years-old
We can visit your home and highlight any child safety hazards, provide advice and install safety equipment such as:
- Cupboard locks
- Non-slip bath mats
- Corner cushions for furniture
- Door stoppers to prevent children trapping their hands
- Door and window locks
- Draft proofing
- For a small charge we can also supply and fit safety gates and fireguards for protecting children under the age of 24 months.
There may be equipment charges depending on the job – you will approve any costs before we start work.
Safety equipment is not a substitute for parental supervision – children must be kept away from dangerous objects and situations.
Look after your home’s safety and security
People over 60 and people with physical disabilities
We can assess the safety and security of your home, along with offering advice. We are also able to carry out minor repairs to help you stay safe such as:
- Fixing a loose carpet
- Providing non-slip bath mats
- Testing smoke alarms
- Providing memo minders
- Draught proofing
- Fitting door bolts, door chains and window locks for extra security
- For a small charge we can also supply smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and key safes
There may be equipment charges depending on the job – you’ll approve any costs before we start work.
Safe at Home Visit Fees
Keysafe: Supply & Installation
- Key safes are beneficial for those who rely on care visits daily, they are also great help in situations where access to the property is necessary for the emergency services and also handy for those who may often forget their keys when leaving for work in the morning.
- Available to all in the city (PO1 – PO6)
Keysafe installation fee £30.00 (exclusive of selected keysafe charge)
Master Lock Keysafe
Keyguard XL Police Preferred Specification Keysafe
There are 2 types of Homesafety visits that we provide:
1: Basic Homesafety Visit – £10.00 fee
- Home assessment visits to vulnerable adults and young families; where advice and support provided to help avoid hazards or mitigate the risks of known, or newly found hazards.
2: Enhanced Homesafety Visit – £20.00 fee (exclusive of equipment charges)
- Along with the advice and support provided in the Basic Homesafety, we can supply and install the below equipment:
- Stairgates & Fireguards
- Smoke detectors
- CO2 detectors
Equipment will be discussed with you during the booking of the appointment to ensure correct products and number of items are taken to the visit.
For equipment costs, please see our ‘Products’ Page:
Additional equipment can be provided at no extra charge based upon the home safety assessment completed by our Safe at Home Officer.
Getting the right support in place is important. Our guide to all things telecare can help find the right products for your needs.